Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Happiness of Being Sad





 Last week I had a serious case of the blues. 

It happens from time to time.

I heard it could have something to do with the moon.

For no apparent reason a sudden wave of melancholy fills my days,  inviting my thoughts to take me away from the world for moments at a time. 

Nonetheless, I like these days.

I read somewhere that melancholy, out of all the "sad" states of mind,  is unique in its form. 

It is not a debilitating mood. 

On the contrary. Melancholy has everything to do with the pleasure of being lost in thought, in complete contemplation of the things around us, the things we don't understand, the things we love, the things we miss.

We sometimes even long for, and desire to indulge in this absorbing self-reflection.


“Melancholy is the happiness of being sad.” 
― Victor Hugo


Enough said: I wish you a melancholic day.








No comments:

Post a Comment