Thursday, February 13, 2014

February Bedside Table Reads


If I could have only one superpower, a super fast reading speed would be it. 

I mean, who cares about flying? The temperatures up in the sky are probably so low that you'd quickly change your mind and much rather walk instead. Where would you fly to? The supermarket? Then how would you bring all your groceries? They'd probably be so heavy that you'd end up losing your balance and hitting every rooftop along the way. To Italy? It would take sooooo long! 

So what about the super power of being invisible? That's even more absurd. Why do you want to be invisible anyway? To eavesdrop on juicy conversations? Wouldn't you want to partake in such conversations? Okay, I admit it would be rather interesting to suddenly disappear and play pranks on people without ever being caught. But still, I think we'd quickly get bored of it.

Superhuman strength? That's just plain odd. Why would I want to lift cars? I don't get it. 

Now, I know some superpowers are pretty interesting. Breathing inside water, the power of healing, mind control, time travelling?  In fact, yes, all these superpowers are to die for. I'd give up a lot for one of these babies. 

But let's go back to the point.

The Superquickreadingspeed Power. 

Imagine (I-mah-gine.) being able to read so quickly (and at the same time grasp all the content of what you are reading) that you could read, let's say, ten books a day. I'm only going to say ten, because that would only mean 20 minutes of your day. You'd probably like to do other things to during your free time, so let's just stick to 10 books in 20 minutes, every single day. That would mean, reading 70 books a week. 300 books in a month. 3650 books a year. WOW. I think my mind just had a micro seizure.

Can you imagine aaaalll the knowledge you'd have? The skills you'd be able to learn! 

You could, in fact, be an amazing cook who also knows how to invest (successfully) in the foreign exchange market, live anywhere due to both the endless list of languages you speak and to your extraordinary outdoor survival techniques, be able to make your own clothes, plant your own vegetables, know the history of the entire world, be able to identify constellations in the night sky, read music, play several instruments. Gosh darn it. You'd probably even be able to learn how to fly and be invisible.

The list, just as your knowledge would be, is endless.

Carrying on with what I came to write about, here's my February (maybe March too, grr.) list of books on my bedside table.

1. To Kill a Mocking Bird, by Harper Lee : It's incredible how I still hadn't read this book. I started a few days ago, and each time I pick it up, it's hard for me to put it down.

2. MAO, The Unknown Story: The reasons I want to read this book are very simple. To begin with, I like reading about the History of China of the last century. Then,  because I've read books by Jung Chang before, I know how much work she puts into the research of the material she writes about and I find her description and retelling of stories fascinating.

3. What a Producer Does: The third book in my "Film Production" series, because it never hurts to learn more about what you want to do.

4. Shanghai Posters: Designs that shaped an Era: A beautiful book filled with images of late 19th, early 20th century advertisements and propaganda posters of China.

1 comment: